Who's the man

Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Dollar Can Go A Long Way

How far can someone take a project with his/her own limited resources: capital, labor and time. I wouldn't guess too far. Maybe a term paper or something.

Turns out, I was wrong. I recently found out a colleague here at B-school, all of 25, is running a school for underprivileged children in interior U.P., India. The school teaches 72 kids enrolled in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades who otherwise would've been employed as cheap labor somewhere. The colleague's associate pledged his land and together they erected a few rooms on top, lo and behold the school was ready. It's employed 6 full time teachers each taking home a meager $25/month. The school provides tuition, uniforms and books, all free of charge. Turns out, a Dollar can go a long way, further than the few sticks of chewing gum most of us presume. Umesh, if you're reading this, I'm proud of you, man.

As for me, my currency is in savings waiting to be invested in ways to con gullible kids of rich folk, who are looking for new avenues to throw their inherited or easy-earned wealth at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home