Who's the man

Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Have you heard of anyone dying from Entrepreneurship?"

M. Murthy raised this very innocent question during his 2-hour long talk at our school. Turns out, I reduced my chances of becoming an entrepreneur when I joined B-school. The hype of placements will soon take over my entire existence, and, come November, I will again try to prove to potential employers how I am the best they will get to make their spreadsheets and presentations!

Entrepreneurship is about heart, it's about courage, it's about living-on-the-edge, it's about taking a risk, failing, getting up and starting all over again. It's about passion, it's about pursuing your dreams, your hobbies, it's about living your life the way it was meant to be lived, freely. Sounds great, but when those 100+ brand name companies line up for placements, I'll want to make a dollar more than all my colleagues are offered. Somehow, pay-packages command more bragging rights than CGPA does. Ah, bummer, myopia will stunt the "Steve Jobs" in me.

Listening to M. Murthy and P. Kakkar, it was obvious that there is long way to go. School only teaches you skills, most of which might even go unused for the rest of my career. I'm quite sure, most of the skills I'll utilize at work, I'll pick up in the office premises. To create employment for myself, I'll have to identify a market, go deep into understanding it, its behavior, its shortcomings and requirements. Without paying heed to all the noise about "hot sectors/industries/firms", I have to opt for the less treaded path and, thereon, follow my instincts. Something tells me, parents and instincts know best. The rest should follow: a product to satisfy the void and operations to manufacture, distribute and sell it. Let's see if I get to experience this first hand, or if it'll all be vicarious.

Till then, I guess, I should enjoy the journey. At least I've delayed the miseries of the real world for 2 more years. It would have been much better though if Financial Accounting made more sense and all the girls in my class met me on a weekly basis ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home